Sarada Devi the Holy Mother sanctified Bankura by her holy incarnation in this district. A lot of people of Bankura town and the nearby area had the fortune of getting blessings from the Holy Mother which completely changed the outlook of their lives. Besides their regular work, they started to serve the society.
A Famine broke out in and around Bankura town in 1915 and these men and a few others started relief work from a small godown at a Duttabandh, Lalbazar, Bankura belonging to Gopinath Dutta. Ramakrishna Mission, Belur Math sent Bramachari Dhruba Chaitanya (Later Swami Basudevananda) to Bankura with relief materials to supervise the relief work. At Indpur village relief work was carried out for more than a year till October 1916.
Swami Premananda, a direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna, came this time with relief materials to overview the relief work. He also graced the people by his holy presence. In the year of 1917 Ramakrishna Math, Belur Math, affiliated Ramakrishna Math , Bankura as its branch centre.
The Ramakrishna Math was established in the north embarkment of Gandheshwari river in 1917. But a devastating flood caused great damage to the Ashrama in 1922. A year later Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission was permanently established in the south bank of Dwarakeshwar Nad.
In the year of 1923, 30th April, Swami Saradananda, a direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna inaugurated the first Shrine. Later Swami Virajananda laid the foundation of the present temple in February in 1942 and the temple was inaugurated by Swami Vishuddhananda on the auspicious day of Snana Yatra on 18th June in 1943. The Vigraha (statue) of Sri Ramakrishna was installed by Swami Madhabananda on 8th April in 1946.
Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission Sevashrama has a charitable dispensary on the opposite side of the present campus and expanded its two sub-centres. One is Ramakrishna Mission Sevashrama, Kenduadihi in Bankura town, another is almost 17 KM far from the Main Campus in a tribal village.